Sunday, March 21, 2010

Myrtle Beach State Park : Reference Photo Shoot 3 '10

I have been working on a series of paintings of scenes in South Carolina's State Parks. Yesterday was such a glorious Spring day that I thought today would be a good day to do some sketching for the series in the Myrtle Beach State Park.   WRONG!  It wasn't supposed to rain until tonight,  but apparently the front moved in early.  By 7 am the skies were gray.   The flat light washed out all the contrast from any interesting features, and the skies were too threatening to risk sketching in the water media I'd brought along.Never the less, I did have have time to make note of several sites with potential for good subject matter.

For example the pond above has strong composition.  It may not look like much under the gray skies of this photo, but given a bright sunny day, I believe the water would reflect a myriad of colors.  There is even a nice observation deck where I can set up my easel .Watch for it to show up as a painting later this Spring in my State Park Series.
I also found out where not to paint ---- at least not in plein air. For example the bog above. Even if I could manage to set my easel up n the narrow board walk through the mire, the mosquitoes on a warm day would turn me into a pincushion before I could make my first brush stroke.

No comments: