Friday, April 22, 2011

New pastel painting of Jekyll Island Marsh '11

Jekyll Island


 Last November I visited Jekyll Island.  I was very impressed with all the beautiful colors in the marsh.
Reference photo used to create the painting.

 The pastel work area was set up so I could see both a value and a colored rendition of the reference.

I printed out the reference photo in color black and white to give me a understanding of the values in the scene.  I also displayed the photo on a monitor next to my easel. , then made a little test sheet of the colors/values  I wanted to use. Using my newly sorted values made painting the scene a snap.

Hmmmmm, -- for some reason the color in my  photo of the painting (first photo in this post) came out more saturated than the actual painting ( as you can see the difference from the last photo posted_  shown on the easel.)  The real color of the painting is actually somewhere between the two photos.   Clearly  I will have to spend some time learning to use my camera.

No comments: