Thursday, August 25, 2011

Looking east at Pawleys Island -Aug 25 2011 I thought it appropriate to post a few pictures of the Pawleys Island Marsh on the eve of Hurricane Irene's approach. The photos were taken at 6:30 pm as the sun set ... I wanted to take a picture from the same area as yesterdays post, but was unable to get onto Pawleys Island as the roads were already flooded. (For those of you who don't know... houses in the low country are all built on stilts.) I took these photos from the marsh at the end of my street . For comparison, I have included some pictures of photos, I took earlier in the year in normal high tide conditions from the same area.. Looking east at Pawleys Island - Aug 2010Pawleys Island Marsh looks more like a lake than a marsh as Hurricane Irene approaches. Notice all the cordgrass is completely submerged in today's pictures. The tidal level is the highest I have seen it since moving to SC and is expected to continue to rise after dark as the storm grows closer ( It was about 200 miles away when these photos were taken). Looking North toward PI causeway - Aug 26 2011 Looking North toward causeway - July 2011

Looking east at Pawleys Island  -Aug 26 2011
  I thought it appropriate to post a few pictures of the Pawleys Island Marsh  on the eve of Hurricane Irene's approach.   The photos were taken at 6:30 pm as the sun  set ... I  wanted to take a picture from the same area as yesterdays post, but was unable to get onto Pawleys Island as the roads were already flooded.  (For those of you who don't know... houses in the low country are all built on stilts.) I took these photos from the marsh at the end of my street  .  For comparison, I have included some pictures of photos, I took earlier in the year in normal high tide conditions from the same area..


Looking east at Pawleys Island  - Aug  2010



Pawleys Island Marsh looks more like a lake than a marsh as Hurricane Irene approaches.  Notice all the cordgrass is completely submerged in today's pictures. The tidal level is the highest I have seen it since moving to SC and is expected to continue to rise after dark as the storm grows closer ( It was about 200 miles away when these photos were taken).

Looking North toward  PI causeway - Aug 26 2011



Looking North toward causeway - July 2011

No comments: