Thursday, September 10, 2015

Painting of Sedona Golf Resort. 9 '15

In between marathon rounds of cooking, I've started oil painting  more scenes for the  Sedona series.  Bruce got so excited by my latest works that he handed me a box of golf balls and asked me to paint the scene on the side of the box of the Sedona Golf Resort..
Close up of photo on box
Hmmmmm.   There were several problems in the way of my painting the scene. First, it is not my photo and  in all probablibilty probably copyright protected.  but then again I am not painting it for sale to someone else, nor am I claiming that it is my original composition, so copyright is probably a mute question

Box photo relative to canvas

More importantly the box is only  4 inches by 5inches. and it wasn't in very good shape.  It''s hard enough to paint from a photo I have taken myself, where I've actually studied the scene, but from one that was so small I couldn't make out any detail . Hmmmmm.

Photo from the internet. porjected on my PC 's monitor

Fortunately, I was able to locate a photo on the internet that was taken from approximately the same vantage point.    It took me about five days but using the two sources together gave me enough information to get the job done.    
14"  x 11" Oil  Painting of  Sedona Golf Resort

Bruce is happy with his painting, and I can go back to working on scenes created  from my own photographs.

No comments: