Friday, January 25, 2019

Ms Kat is becoming a Grumpy Old Lady: 1 ' 19


Ms.  Kat  is getting up there in years  and  showing signs that she is joining Bruce and I  in feeling   the weight of her years.   Her vision never was all that  great, but now she is also losing  her hearing.  Whenever she loses sight of us, she goes into a panic attack and starts screaming at the top of her lungs until one of us catches her attention to tell her we are still right here for her.  In addition  she is has developed a sensitive tummy, and whenever she  becomes  afraid, she starts barfing up her stomach contents.   

We've  both had a lot of appointments this past month which forced us to leave her home alone a lot, and she seemed to be seriously paranoid .  In fact she  has never been left alone for more than 10 hours straight and always has bowls of both wet and dry food and water before we leave. I guess when you can't see or hear well, and can't use a phone to call for help, those 10 hours must seem interminable to a lonely scared  little kitty.  She seems sure every time we go out the front door  that we were about to leave her locked and alone to die of starvation and thirst. 

Her panic attacks were starting to keep us awake at night.  And while Senior house cats are notorious for becoming picky eaters,  we  have become increasingly worried about her not getting enough nutrition, so I headed over to Petco today to see what OTC products they might help.

I found two:


There are several ways to administer digestive medication to a cat,  but after looking at the directions I decided the only one that we were at all likely to get Ms. Kat swallow is  The Homeopet Drops for Feline Digestive Upsets . We  are supposed to be put directly into her mouth before feeding her. Hah!  I'd like to see someone try that. LOL We hid the drops in a very small serving of her favorite wet food. The product doesn't have any detectable smell,  and if it does have a taste,  the portion of food  I'd mixed the drops into was so small that she had consumed it all before she even had time to notice any off taste.  So far so good. Ms Kat has been able to keep her stomach contents to herself and is showing no sign of digestive distress.




Sentry puts out several types of cat calming products.  I chose their 30 day Calming Collar, because Ms Kat is used to wearing a collar; and I thought it would be less stressful that products I'd have to spray on her coat, or shove down her throat.  The thing seem to start soothing  the second I put in on.  No more  panicked meowing,  No more frantic screams in the night as she chases around searching for us.. I'll let y'all know if I am wrong, but  I do believe this is going to work. 

No comments: