Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Plein air pain(t) ing 5 '10

 

Remember that Plein air painting at Dunn Acres I was so excited about last week?  This week I am calling it plein air pain in thanks to all the mosquito bites I collected.
I sprayed myself all over with 100% deet before I began painting.  Then I sprayed more on my hands and wiped it on my face and exposed skin.   But I did not think to  rub it on my skin  under edges of my shirt;  nor did I rub it into my hair.  
 
As a result I counted over 75 bites  in three bands one on  the back of each my arms  and one the neckline.  Apparently my shirt shifted  when I was reaching out to paint , exposing untreated skin. And that  number doesn't include the bites I can't count in my hair. I had a hat on, but they bit me on the back of my scalp where the hat did not cover my head.  They did not bite my neck where I had rubbed the deet, but I am a solid mass of welts anywhere the spray did not touch.

LESSON LEARNED:   Spray  all over  BEFORE  one gets dressed and rub it in everywhere; then spray ones clothes and rub it in again  up under the edges once you get on location.

I've also purchased one of these personal fan protector devices from "Off".  I will let you know how it works.

No comments: