Thursday, September 20, 2018

Zinnias post Florence: 9 '18

  
Zinnias 9 ' 17' 18
Remember how we came home after evacuating from Florence to find my Zinnias had been beaten to the ground by the rain?


The plants were still blooming,


And every blossom had a butterfly on it, and 
all the hummingbirds were feeding on the zinnia nectars.


As near as I could tell,  my flower bed zinnia bed had been, and until my neighbors returned would be the sole source of food for the neighborhood's entire population of pollinators. 


 Zinnia bed 9-18-2018
So I  temporarily staked the sturdiest plants back up as best I could,

Former Zinnia bed 9-20-2018
Now that my neighbors returned, replanted their flowerbeds, and put out their hummingbird feeders,  I feel less guilty about removing the remaining zinnias and cleaning up the flowerbed.  I will miss their vibrant colors, and all the wildlife they supported.

No comments: