Friday, April 25, 2008

Home Improvements: Murals on the stair risers 4 '08

BJ standing by  the original stairs
I was in a curio shop a couple of weeks ago when I noticed some hand painted pagoda murals on the risers of their stairs.  How cute!  I could do that, I thought.  It would really enhance our barren stairwell.
Two of the three designs
So I set to work designing a set of low country beach theme designs drawn to the size of the stair riser..  I came up with three designs  which when reversed gave me a set of  six full size patterns.
Hand rail and finial
   Stretching out on my belly I began with the top most riser. I put the pattern on the stair and began to copy the sketch by hand onto the riser above it using burnt sienna acrylic paint and glazing compound.  Working my way down the stairs, it took me a full week  to hand paint every other riser.
  Finished stair well
Then  Bruce added a  natural oak hand rail  and a fancy Southern pineapple finial capon to the stair post  to polish it off.  We are thrilled with the results . So is everyone else.  We get nothing but compliments about it.

No comments: