Friday, April 18, 2008

Visiting with the neighbors: Piliated Woodpecker '08

This morning I was  in the Carolina Room when I heard what sounded like a jack-hammer in the woods behind us.  It didn't take me long to discover the source.  A large piliated wood-pecker was  eyeballing me from a nearby tree.   The I saw another, and another...the entire family had come to visit.  They were hanging out no more than ten feet from our back door.
The first time we saw one of these  birds we couldn't believe our  eyes.  I wondered if some prankster had slipped something into our iced teas. They look exactly like an over-sized  real life 'Woody the Woodpecker'..  But we soon learned that The Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) is a very large North American woodpecker, roughly crow-sized,  commonly inhabiting deciduous forests in eastern North America, the Great Lakes, the boreal forests of Canada, and parts of the Pacific coast. It is also the largest woodpecker in the United States, excepting the possibly extinct Ivory-billed woodpecker.  Common or not it is still fascinating to  watch up close and in person.

No comments: