Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Did it again: 8 '19

Well, I did it again.
 Last year I planted what I thought were medium height zinnias in my tiny pocket garden, and they grew over my head. So this year, while I did manage to plant the right height zinnias, it was the sunflowers turn to surprise me. I had sprinkled in some seeds of what I thought were medium height multi-colored sunflowers behind the zinnias. A few of the sunflowers plants' height met my expectations. The rest are giving the bees and hummingbirds acrophobia. The good news is that I am getting armloads of cut flowers from both this tiny space.


The plants above are the height the sunflowers I was expecting ( 4 to 5 feet).


This is what I got. ( Note the zinnias in front of them were the right height for my tiny pocket garden.


This one must be close to twelve feet tall.


The seed packet said the sunflowers would be shades of yellow to bronze. Most of them bloomed yellow. Next year, I will buy my seeds directly from the grower and try to limit the varieties to a few specialty colors, flower shapes, and heights.


The good news is that I ( and half the neighborhood)
  have had beautiful cut flowers all summer long.

No comments: